The Gujarat Public Service Commission conducts recruitment exams for various posts within the state administration. The commission is constitutionally authorized to set and change the GPSC Exam pattern and decide recruitment, transfer, and disciplinary matters.
In this article, candidates will find important details about the Gujarat PSC Exam, including the syllabus for entry into the Gujarat Administrative Services and in the Gujarat Civil Services conducted by Gujarat Public Service Commission (GPSC).
GPSC Exam Stages
GPSC exam is conducted in 2 stages:
Stage 1: Preliminary Exam (Objective Type)
Stage 2: Mains Exam (Written and Personal Interview)
It is essential/vital to carefully go through the entire GPSC syllabus not to waste time reading the irrelevant things from the exam point of view. GPSC exam syllabus is also similar to the UPSC Syllabus; the only and core difference is the GPSC syllabus will have topics on History, Culture, Geography concerning the state of Gujarat.
A few essential points to note concerning GPSC Syllabus
- As per Gujarat PSC Exam Syllabus, candidates do not require any science stream specialization to tackle questions on Science and Technology.
- Under the History section, as per GPSC Exam Syllabus, candidates need to focus on Gujarat’s History. As per Gujarat PSC Syllabus, candidates have to prepare for Gujarat and India’s social and economic geography under the Geography section.
GPSC Exam Eligibility Criteria
- Any Graduate Can Apply (Arts, Commerce, or Science).
- All Candidates must have a Degree/Graduation in any discipline from a recognized University.
- A final year student is also eligible for the exam.
- The Minimum or basic Age Limit is 20 years, and the Maximum Age Limit is 35 years of age.
- SC and ST age relaxation is for five years (Max age limit- 40 years)
- OBC age relaxation is for three years (Max age limit- 38 years).
GPSC Exam Syllabus
Note: To download the syllabus for GPSC 2021, visit this link.
GPSC Exam Syllabus – Prelims
The Gujarat PSC Syllabus overlaps significantly with the UPSC Syllabus for the IAS exam. With the new Gujarat PSC pattern and syllabus, all candidates preparing simultaneously for the Civil Services Exam and state civil services exam will have a slightly more manageable task.
The GPSC Prelims Syllabus for Paper 1 and Paper 2 is given below.
- Cultural Heritage
- Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations
- Mental Ability
- Indian Economy and Planning
- Science and Technology
- Current events of regional, national and international importance
Gujarat PSC Exam Preparation
Gujarat PSC is the body which recruits Class I and II officer in the State of Gujarat. Suppose you want to prepare for the GPSC. It’s so easy, as per my opinion. GPSC is conducting the Three Tier Examination.
- Preliminary Exam
- Main Exam
For a Preliminary – They’re selecting 6 Times more candidates for the post to be filled up. i.e., if there are 400 posts, they will pass the 2400 people in the preliminary examination. For the preliminary exam, there will be an objective type of questions.
- Gujarati and English – 150 Marks (75-75 Each)
- Maths and Logical Reasoning – 150 Marks
- General Studies – 200 Marks
In First Paper Gujarati and English. Paper I covers the entire grammar of these two subjects. For Gujarati, they will also ask about Gujarati Literature like a Poet and writer of any famous Poem or essay or Short stories, Novels, etc.
GPSC Recommended Study Materials
The study material for GPSC preparation comprises:
- Online preparation for GPSC is feasible as most resources are available online.
- GPSC Exam Books in Gujarati
- Books in English
- Books and news on Current Affairs
- NCERT Books and Notes.
The books to refer for GPSC Syllabus are given below:
For Paper I:
- Gujarati Vyakaran Parichay by Akshar Prakashan
- Gujarati Sahitya Parichay by Dr. Shehzad Kazi
- English Grammar by Akshar Prakashan.
For Paper II:
- In Paper II, they are asking the Questions from Logical Reasoning and Maths.
- For Maths, go through the R.S. Aggarwal’s Quantitative Aptitude.
- For Logical reasoning, go through the Tata McGraw-Hill’s Reasoning Books.
- In Paper III, they ask the Many things you can get the syllabus on GPSC’s official site.
- For GS, Online resources are beneficial. And current affairs also matters.
Other Reading Materials
- Gujarat History – Hiren
- Indian Polity – Laxmikanth
- Geography – Majid Hussain
- Economy – Ramesh Singh
- India Year Book
- Modern History – Bipin Chandra
For current affairs, it’s highly recommended that candidates read The Hindu newspaper a day without fail. Here you’ll find Daily Video Analysis of the Hindu. There many other highly reliable sources for GPSC current affairs preparation.
- Press Information Bureau
- Rajya Sabha TV
- Yojana Magazine
- Daily News Analysis
Tips to Crack GPSC Exam
- Current affairs preparation is vital.
- NCERT books are an initial resource.
- Standard reference books.
- All Candidates must be aware of the fact that preparation on different subjects/topics (Current affairs, History, Polity, Geography, etc.) should be done keeping the state focused.
- Candidates must be well-versed with the GPSC Syllabus (Prelims and Mains) and Exam pattern.
In this article, candidates will find the information on the Gujarat PSC Syllabus, Exam Stages, tips, as well as recommended reading materials to help them crack the Gujarat Public Service Commission Exam.
Areas covered in this article
- Gujarat PSC Exam Stages
- GPSC Syllabus
- GPSC Preparation
- Learn more about the GPSC by going to the official website.
- Read up on the State Public Service Commission in this link.
This post was last updated on October 31st, 2021 at 10:51 am