IPS officers are considered as one of the foundations of law and order in our country (India) and hence the vigorous IPS officer training that takes a long period of at least three years. Knowing about the details n advance can help aspirants prepare for the practice well enough and make the decisions accordingly.
In India, most All India Services Officers of the premier civil services of the country are selected through competitive Civil Services Exam (CSE) administered by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). All trainees are equal as they attend the four-month Foundation Course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA).
IPS Officer Training Schedule
- Foundation Course at LBSNAA, Mussoorie – 3 months
- Phase 1 training at NPA, Hyderabad – 1 year
- District Practical Training in respective cadre – 6 months
- Phase 2 training at NPA, Hyderabad – 1 month
The Phase 1 training lasting for 11 months, also known as the Basic Course, is the primary training where a successful civil service candidate is transformed into a dynamic IPS officer ready to take up a spectrum of challenges offered by policing in India ranging from sophisticated metropolitan policing to counter-insurgency policing in the dense jungles of the hinterland.
IPS Officer Training Details
The components of the necessary course of Indian Police Service probationers are in three categories: (IPS Officer training details):
Compulsory Indoor Subjects
- The detailed study of the Criminal Procedure Code, the Indian Penal Code, Indian Evidence Act and numerous other special laws like NDPS, PoCA, etc.
- Theoretical and Hands-on training for conducting investigations
- Theoretical and Hands-on training for Forensic Science
- Study of Forensic Medicine
- Crime Prevention and Criminology
- Maintenance of Public Peace and Order (Study, demo, drills)
- Internal Security
- Police Leadership and Management
- Ethics and Human Rights
- Information and Communication Technology
Compulsory Outdoor Subjects
- Physical Fitness – This includes daily PT, athletics, sports, Gymnasium, cross country races up to 20 km.
- Weapons Training – Assembling/Disassembling, Handling and Firing of following weapons
- 9 mm Pistol
- 9mm Glock
- 9 mm MP5 sub-machinegun
- 9mm carbine
- .303′ rifle
- SLR – 7.62 mm
- INSAS – 5.56 mm
- AK 47 – 7.62 mm
- 7.62 mm Bren Light Machine Gun
- 51 mm mortar
- Hand – Grenades
- Firing of Sniper Rifles, Corner Shot, MP9Drill – Drills and Parade
- Field Craft and Tactics and Map-reading – This includes theoretical, demo and drills of ambush setting, counter-ambush maneuvers, use of terrain for tactical movement, setting up Counter-insurgency camps, Route marches up to 40 km with full battle-load, Map-reading, movement with and without the aid of GPS, handling explosives, etc.
- Assault Training
- Rock Climbing
- Unarmed combat – grueling sessions
- First Aid
- Basic Swimming
- Equitation (Horse Riding) – often terrifying, some probationers also suffer spinal fractures due to falls from horses.
- Police Telecommunications and Control Room Operations
- Motor Mechanism and Driving
- Hindi in Devanagari Script
- Regional Languages depending on the candidate’s cadre
Apart from all the above, candidates are also given a detailed demo and hands-on training on etiquette, adventure sports, conduct rules, etc.
You have to report down outside IPS mess for fall-in (i.e. reporting into your respective groups or squads as we call it) at 5:25. So you get up accordingly. IPS Officers have to shave every day. That’s the one thing checked daily- Girls have to tie their hair into a bun and wear a mesh on the bread.
Daily different outdoor activities are held in the morning, like running/pt. On one day, horse riding on another, drill/parade on another, etc. You get free around 7:30 am- You get fresh and have (a substantial) breakfast then.
Indoor classes start from 9-1:30 pm on various subjects like CrPC, IPC, Evidence Act, Ethics, Management, etc.
- Lunch break from 1:30-3.
- Then outdoors again from 3-4:40.
- Then 15 min break to change.
- Then games till 5:30.
Note: In summers, the post-lunch schedule is delayed by an hour because of heat. Once you are allotted your cadres, you have to attend language classes during the lunch break.
Lady IPS Officer Training
Training given to all IPS officers is the same (though time constraints are relaxed a bit for ladies in specific outdoors). It includes:
- Evidence Act
- Cadre language, etc.
- Equitation/Horse Riding
- Obstacle Course
- Cross Country Races (up to 16km)
- Route March (up to 42km)
- Medical Emergencies
- Tactics (primary focus since Mumbai attacks)
Other Tasks and Responsibilities
- On Saturdays, you have half a day with no outdoors. You have to do Swacch Bharat work on Saturday morning.
- There are formal dinners with senior faculty at times which extend up to 10-11 pm.
- There are attachments to various places like Mussoorie for ITBP, Indore for BSF, etc.
- Also, there are attachments for learning elections etc. where you visit the place where votes are going on.
- Also, you have to have a minimum attendance of 90% indoors and 95% outdoors to write exams. So, you cover up any missed classes on Saturday/Sunday.
- Two weeks Bharat Darshan is also there where you visit some states.
- There’s a specific time beyond which you cannot remain outside the academy.
- IPS Officers don’t get to take leave quickly except in exceptional circumstances.
- Sunday is a holiday – but it is also taken up at times as some personality might not be able to give time otherwise.
The training that the IPS officers go through can indeed energize the UPSC aspirant’s preparation. In this particular article, we discussed the IPS officers duties and functions assigned during the training period after their final selection.
Areas covered in this article
- An overview of an IPS training period
- Tasks and responsibilities assigned during training
- Official UPSC Civil Services Exam Notification
- IPS Officer Duties
- Indian Police Service (IPS) – Exam, Role & Responsibilities, Cadre Allocation and Training
This post was last updated on September 28th, 2021 at 02:43 pm