The main objective of an IDAS officer is to provide services like financial advice, and accounting functions for the Army, Air Force, Navy, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Ordnance Factories, Canteen Stores Department, Border Road Organisation and other allied organizations.
The Indian Defence Accounts Service was established to provide Financial Advice, Accounts and Audit services to the Defence Services and allied organizations viz. Ordnance Factories, Indian Armed Forces, Military Engineer Services, Border Roads Organisation, Defence Research and Development Organisation etc.
IDAS Officer Roles and Responsibilities
The IDAS officers can be appointed into other governmental organizations/departments. Like IFS officers to maintain the international relations, they can also be sent overseas as part of the Indian Army’s UN peacekeeping missions
- Nationality of a candidate:
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Nepal
- Subject of Bhutan
- Educational Qualification of an IDAS Officer: A candidate must hold a degree from any of the recognized universities or possess an equivalent qualification.
- Age Limit: for IDAS position Candidate should be of minimum age 21 years, and the maximum period is 30 years.
It takes a total of 24 months to complete the training. The initial training of IDAS officers is for four months, and the pieces of training are held in cities like – New Delhi and Pune.
Soon after induction of IDAS cadre officers, they will get posted as Assistant Controlling Officer of Defence Accounts. The postings are usually at municipal towns having cantonments.
Going further, the IDAS cadre officers will get promoted as Deputy Controlling Officer of Defence Accounts. In this position, the postings are generally at State Capital Cities.
At senior roles, the IDAS cadre officers would be working at Command Headquarters.
Note- For in-depth understanding about the UPSC Career Options, visit- https://www.upsc.gov.in/
There are two modes of recruitment to the IDAS:
- With the help of the Civil Services Examination conducted by UPSC every year; and
- Through the promotion of Senior Accounts Officers (Group ‘B’) to IDAS.
Grade Level of IDAS Officers
Appointments to Other Organizations/Bodies
- With departmental postings, IDAS officers can be appointed in other organizations including in Ministries/ Departments of GoI at different levels such as- DS/ Director/Joint Secretary levels on deputation basis under CSS of GoI and other non-CSS deputation.
- The essential contributions made by IDAS officers leave resulted in constant demand for the cadre from Central and State Governments.
- IDAS officers are usually appointed overseas as a part of Indian Army- participating in various UN peacekeeping Missions between the UN Nations. As of now, there are five UN Missions, where STS level officers who got deployed as part of Indian contingent of UN peacekeeping force.
The Indian Defence Accounts Service was established to provide Financial Advice, Accounts and Audit services to the Defence Services and allied organizations viz. Ordnance Factories, Indian Armed Forces, Military Engineer Services, Border Roads Organisation, Defence Research and Development Organization etc.
Areas covered in this article
- Overview of the profile/role
- Eligibility criteria
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Grade system & Pay Scale
- Destination and No. of posts included in various grades
P.S. You can check the official UPSC IDAS Exam notification with the help of below-mentioned link- https://www.upsc.gov.in/exams-related-info/exam-notification.