The Puducherry Police Service is the law enforcement agency for the Union Territory of Puducherry in India. The Puducherry Police Service date back to the period of French colonial rule before 1954, Separate Armed and Indigenous (local) police service units were maintained at that time in Puducherry. The new force still retains the French kepi as a distinctive feature of its uniform.
The Puducherry Police Service comes under the direct control of the Department of Home Affairs, Government of Puducherry. The PONDIPS force is headed by the Director-General of Police (DGP). As of 2013, the Puducherry Police Service had around 4000 personnel, of whom 150 were women. The Police force plans to induct more women officers to have a one-woman officer at every police station.
Puducherry Police Service (PONDIPS) Role and Duty
- The Puducherry Police Service coordinates with other law enforcement agencies across the country to catch offenders and criminals. The force has prisons in three places called – Kalapet, Yanam and Karaikal. It is the only force having in civil services that has a separate traffic unit with investigation power in India.
- These officers look at law and order aspect of administration in Union Territories of Pondicherry.
Note- For more information about PONDIPS, visit the official link- https://police.py.gov.in/
Puducherry Police Service (PONDIPS) Ranks and Pay Scale
The name, number and scale of pay of duty posts in the grades of Pondicherry Police Service shall be as follows:
Scale of Pay
Junior Administrative Grade -I (JAG – Group A)
Junior Administrative Grade-II (JAG-Group A)
Selection Grade (Group A)
Entry Grade (Group B)
Note- Sanctioned strength of Puducherry Civil Service: 62 (JAG posts = 9; Grade-I, II = 37; Reserves like deputation, leave and training = 16)
The mission statement for Puducherry Police
- The mission of the Puducherry police service is to support the rule of law and to provide safety & security to the people without violating any Human Rights.
- The Police Service shall put an effort to maintain law and order and the harmony in the society by performing duties.
- And they should also focus on the crime control to be able to instil confidence among the citizens of Pondicherry.
- While doing so, community policing by way of formation of community liaising groups, fishers watch groups and peace committees in all Police Station at different levels of services shall be recognized.
- The Police shall adopt a pro-active approach to solve the issues by mutual understanding.
- They must create an environment for healthy growth and development of the society at large and should educate the youth by promoting awareness about the negative things like drug addiction, gambling, and sexual abuse and be sensitized to the problems of women and Scheduled Castes & Tribes.
History of PONDIPS
The French people, was one of the last among the European powers that dreamt about establishing their trade stations and their maritime might in India through sea-route.
The Frenchman first came to Surat in 1666 after obtaining an imperial firefighter from the Moghul Emperor Aurangazeb and then they finally established themselves in a village called Coromandel Coast in 1674, with permission of a governor of the Bijapur Sultan.
With this bridgehead on the East-Coast, which became their mainstay over the total of 280 years, but then the French dreams of an Indian Empire began and ended in Pondicherry.
But during this period, for brief spells when the area was gliding out of their hands, the minuscule scattered territories which today consists the centrally administered Union Territory of Pondicherry (UToP) – which was granted the full Statehood recently in Parliament, – remained under French administration for well-night 230 years.
Indian laws were made applicable after the time of their de-facto transfer to the Indian Union in 1954, and the de-jure transfer in 1963.
Note- To know more about the Police history Of PONDIPS, visit- https://police.py.gov.in/About%20us/PoliceHistory.htm.
PONDIPS- Pondicherry, like Andaman & Nicobar, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu, Delhi Police Service (DPS) is also centrally administered by the GoI. PONDIPS officers are appointed to the Pondicherry Police Services.
Areas covered in this article
- Pay Scale
- The mission statement of PONDIPS
Note- For more details on other UPSC Exams, visit- CivilServices.com